Thursday, January 20, 2011

Obsesiones

Hey everyone! Its been a few days so I thought I would come on here and give you the latest scoop on life.

Since we last spoke, I have had exactly one "week" of classes, which for me is Monday Tuesday Wednesday. I take 18 hours of classes here, classes that include Poetry, Spanish Cinema, Colloquial Spanish, Advanced Language and Grammar and Art in the Museums of Madrid. So far, the classes haven't been too bad, but the Colloquial Spanish class was kind of brutal in that we spent about an hour of class-time doing phonetics of things. Basically, people in Spain (much like in the United States) don't pronounce every piece of a word, and a lot of times the words get morphed together. For example, when I say "Don't Worry About It" it usually comes out, phonetically, like this "Donworryabouit". So, in Spanish, instead of saying "Hasta Luego", its more colloquial to say "haluego". Interesting, but at the same time it was a long class.

Updates:
1. As of Today (Given that Lito can find the tickets) I will be attending a minimum of 3 concerts while I'm here. I personally have possession of 2 (Dropkick Murphys and The Shout Out Louds), and then Lito is going to buy tickets for Thin Lizzy today. I'm pretty excited about it all. We're also planning on (maybe) going to see a Spanish band called Siniestro Total, a band that Lito and I like called Deerhunter and a few music festivals that would probably change my life. Its cool because the majority of the concerts are here in Madrid, but the music festivals are elsewhere, and I get to travel and see awesome bands.

2. I've been introduced to a few really great bands over the past few days, so I'mma lay them on you. If you like indie music, check out : The Kissaway Trail . They're a really cool group (and I'm really bad at voice detection and saying what things sound like, so i'm just going to leave it at that. Another cool one is Celtas Cortos. They're an Irish rock group from Spain, and they're awesome. I've been a good girl and listening to the new Decemberists album, and so far I like it a lot :)
Also, I know there aren't a lot of Green Day fans out there, but if you get a chance, listen to the song "When It's Time" by them. They played it at the end of their concert the last time I saw them, and I think its a great song that makes me miss my man haha =P

3. Home Life: I still love my host family. I definitely lucked out with the best brothers who are introducing me to all of this cool stuff in the city. My brothers and their friends have been inviting my housemate and myself to all of these great places and concerts and introducing me to bands. I have a hard time understanding my seƱor still, which I'm hoping will change over time. He's a coach for basketball and football and he also plays with a group of friends which I think is pretty cool because he's Pop Pop's age I would guess. Anyway his voice is really deep and he talks pretty fast.

4. I'm talking to my dad right now through instant messenger, and I just got news that my car is finally alive and running. She had to get a fuel tank replaced and my dad got the car starter re-installed (funny how I ask for it to be re-installed and it doesn't happen, but when I'm gone in Spain and its a car he'll be using it happens... =P). Anyway, the thing about my car is, she's a brick. Also, she's kind of a dinosaur, and as a feature, the car locks when you turn it on (Safety precaution) and unlocks when you turn it off (to let you out). The car has always done this and I remember laughing at my dad getting locked out over and over because of it. He apparently has forgotten this problem as he is now saying the car has a problem because the remote starter keeps locking him out when he turns on the car.
Also, on the subject of "Ham"

Wayne Missy Jenne @ 12:39: habon or jabon?

Courtney Jenne @ 12:40: Jamon, jabon is soap. close words though, they get mixed up a lot

Wayne Missy Jenne @ 12:40: or if you want to order soup!

Now, I don't know what that means. But words of inspiration from Dad :)

5. GEMELO UPDATE
- Ryan Seacrest of Spain is still on the loose, but I'll find him
- Spanish Andrew Giotto has been discovered. (he's a resident of Connecticut but is studying here.)


Well, thats it for now! I'm going to be a bum and read my book for a little while
HALUEGO :)

No comments:

Post a Comment